Posts of "Historical Activities"
by Christine Mason History lies in the consequences of man’s actions. It is also in the evolution and adaptation of plants; the dynamic geological forming and re-forming of our world; the mutation and extinction of creatures. History can be as early as a minute ago or further back than our ‘intelligent’ planet. Somewhere in between, ...
The Robberg Peninsula dates back to the middle and later stone age. It was first occupied about 120000 years ago when the sea level dropped. On the peninsula there are several caves where evidence of Stone age occupation has been found. The first modern history was recorded in 1630 when Portuguese sailors were shipwrecked on ...
This Portuguese ship was wrecked in 1630 and 133 sailors perished. Pieces of porcelain and other objects were found in 1979 by the Jerling family. These were donated to Plettenberg Bay in 1988 and can be seen at the Municipal offices on Sewell Street.
This unusual, quaint church is the oldest in the diocese of George. The entire building is uniquely made of Yellowwood.
This was built in 1831 but burnt down in 1914. Whaling operations ceased in 1916. One can still view the original slipway and blubber cauldron. The stinkwood navigational beacon was first erected on Beacon Island in 1771. It was replaced by a stone one by Captain Sewell in 1881.
It was built in 1787/88 by Johann Jerling and the famous Dutch East Company. The remains are preserved as a National Monument.
This was erected as a barracks for the Dutch East India Company in 1776. In 1869 it was bought by St Peters Church and used as a rectory for the next 70 years. It is presently privately owned.
A small wooden chapel-cum-school was first built here in 1855 but in 1875 the building was blown down during a seasonal storm. It was replaced with the present stone edifice in 1881 and now serves the local Anglican Community.
Situated in Witterdrif, this church was built in 1834.
This historical manor was built by William Henry Newdgate in 1864. The double storey building has an impressive entrance hall, musician’s gallery and yellowwood and stinkwood woodwork. Forest Hall is now privately owned.